Roulette is played by rolling a small ball in one direction inside a numbered and slotted wheel. The wheel spins in the opposite direction. When the ball comes to rest in a slot, the winning number is decided. The wheel has 18 red slots and 18 black slots. A European roulette wheel has one green slot for the number 0 whilst the American based roulette wheel has an additional 00 green slot.
The standard double-zero wheel gives the house a 5.26% edge. European roulette is however played on a wheel that contains only one zero and reduces the house edge to 2.70%. The general classification of bets are Inside bets (made on numbers directly inside the numbered table), and Outside bets (made on the betting area surrounding the number layout).
Let’s face it, you are not going to know where the ball will fall. If the croupier sends the ball on it’s way even 2% faster than normal, a different result will occur. You are in fact left with logic. If you go black or red, you odds are 50/50 less the margin that occurs when the ball lands on zero which is a green slot. So, no matter how you look at this, the casinos margin is gained on the zero slot. You can look at a total of 11 bets which are made up of 6 Inside Bets and 5 Outside Bets. The casino actually makes more than its margin though because many people actually believe you can beat the odds. You can get lucky, you can control your loss, you can have a great evening, but you cannot get by with a system. Facts are facts and casino owners are in fact businessmen. Don’t be fooled. The only real system out there is to control your spending, keep your emotions in check, and don’t bet red or black again and again, believing that it has to come up on the next spin. The odds of a 50/50 coin flip are built up over thousands of spins. If you take a small cluster of results, you are just as likely to see all heads as you are or all tails or even an even split.
Types of Roulette bets
Inside bets – More specific and offer higher payouts with greater risk.
- The Straight (Single) number bet. The chip is in the center of a numbered square and does not touch the borders.
- The Split bet. Place your chip on the border between two numbers thus selecting both at the same time.
- The Street bet. Place your chip on the edge of a row of numbers and select all three numbers.
- The Corner bet. Place your chip where 4 numbers intersect (two above and two below)
- The Double Street (Line) bet. Place your chip on the side of the rows and allow it to overlap two adjoining rows.
- The Trio bet (Single Zero Wheel). Place your chip on the intersection of the 0 and the two numbers below it.
- The Basket bet. Covers the 0, 1, 2, 3 on a single zero wheel. It covers 0, 00, 1, 2, 3 on a double zero wheel.
Outside bets – Outside bets have smaller payouts with better winning odds.
- The Low Number Bet. A bet that covers the numbers 1 to 18.
- The High Number Bet. A bet that covers the numbers 19 to 36.
- The Red or Black Bet. Your bet covers either all red numbers or all black numbers.
- The Odds or Evens Bet. Your bet covers either all odd numbers or all even numbers. 0 is neither odd nor even.
- The Dozen Bet. This bet covers one of the three sets of numbers 1 – 12, 13 – 24, 25 – 36.
- The Column Bet. This bet covers one of the three columns of numbers (12 per column).
There are various software providers to the online casinos. We recommend either Microgaming, Playtech, RTG, or Wagerlogic. These are our recommended casinos where you can play Roulette.
A typical Roulette view, in this case Playtech software as seen at Golden Palace Casino (they have 9 different roulette games!).
|Play Roulette at these RTG powered casinos|
|Club SA Casino||SlotsPlus Casino||Casino Midas|
|Silversands Casino||Las Vegas USA Casino||Slotocash Casino|
|Springbok Casino||All Star Slots||Silversands Casino|
|Jackpot Cash Casino||Aladdins Gold||Golden Euro Casino|
|Play Roulette at these Playtech powered casinos|
|SA Rand||USD (No players from the USA)||GBP/Euro|
|Golden Palace Casino||Golden Palace Casino||Golden Palace Casino|
|Omni Casino||Omni Casino (Canada)||Omni Casino|
|Casino.com Casino||Casino.com Casino (Canada)||Casino.com Casino|
|City Club Casino||City Club Casino||Crown Europe Casino|
|Play Roulette at these Microgaming powered casinos|
|USD (No players from the USA)||GBP/Euro|
|All Slots Casino||All Slots Casino|
|Jackpot City Casino||Jackpot City Casino|
|Royal Vegas Casino||Royal Vegas Casino|
|32Red Casino||32Red Casino|
|Play Roulette at these Wagerlogic powered casinos|
|USD (No players from the USA)||GBP/Euro|